Skip to main content

Long term travel with iPad OS only - What the experience is like so far

Why I’m doing this challenge:

I’ve jumped in with two feet. I have sent my laptop back home with my brother and have only the iPad Pro with me as I travel long term in Southeast Asia. I’m doing it. 

I want to find out if it is possible to travel long term with an iPad Pro 11-inch only with no laptop at all. Is it possible to have the iPad as my only travel companion for all my computing needs? Before the iPad OS beta releases, the iPad Pro could not meet my needs for travelling due to the lack of file management system. Back then if I wanted to back up my travel photos to my external hard disk, I couldn’t. Now with iPad OS, I can! But, how well does it run?

What I normally do on my laptop during travel:

  • Watch Netflix and Youtube
  • Read news articles 
  • Trade stocks through online investment account 
  • Edit photos and videos
  • Manage/transfer photos from my point and shoot camera to my external backup  
  • Use the WhatsApp application to chat instead of using my phone (saves battery on the phone while I travel)

Which current operating system version:

iPad OS 13 public beta 7

————————————————————————————

Day 1: Things are good, especially the pencil


I’m currently in Bangkok, Thailand right now trying to learn the Thai language. This is where the iPad really excels because it is made to be an excellent companion for students. I’m at the age where I’m well out of school, so this learning on an electronic device is new to me. I grew up with the paper and pencil/pen. 

My first homework assignment was to practice writing the Thai alphabets by marking up a PDF file. As you can see below it’s working out well with me using the Apple Pencil 2. In case you don’t know the difference between the Pencil 1 and 2, the second generation is a lot better in design with the wireless magnetic charging and the overall feel of the pencil is improved with the new flat edge design. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The HP Spectre x360 13.3" Touchscreen/Pen model (13-AC010CA)

The HP Spectre x360 13.3" Touchscreen/Pen (13-AC010CA) The Spectre x360 is the latest 13.3" product from HP that has a hinge that allows the screen to rotate a full 360 degrees, making it a great contender for your 2-in-1 portability pursuit. The major difference here is that it doesn't have a detachable keyboard, and just maybe that in tablet mode  grabbing at the keyboard on the backside makes it a little awkward to hold. Not a deal breaker though. Unboxing Experience Right from the get-go you know you're dealing with something serious. HP knows that the unboxing experience is just as important as the experience with the laptop itself, and they didn't skimp out. One look at this box and you're jittering with excitement! What Comes Inside The Box You'll be glad to know that the HP Spectre x360 comes fully loaded . Inside the box you get: HP Quick USB-C charger Leather like carrying case (custom, with pen holder!) HP Stylus ...

KINJOE social site makes connecting with Vancouver neighbours easier

Kinjoe is a new vancouver start-up that has launched to help you connect to your local neighbours.  What is it all about? It's a social media site where you can create your own profile, share a little about yourself, see what the locals are up to and chime in on a conversation about something cool. It's designed  to overcome some of the drawbacks of living in the city, where people are surrounded by others, but still find it difficult to meet neighbours or others who share their interests.

4-Day Vancouver Sample Sale: Here are the details

THANKSGIVING MIDNIGHT MADNESS SALE OVER 60,000 NEW ITEMS OF FALL CLOTHING HAS ARRIVED. ALL NEW ARRIVALS.... NEW G STAR, CITIZENS, J BRAND, HUDSON JEANS, TRUE RELIGION ,SEVENS, HUGO BOSS, DIESEL, JLINDEBERG AND SO MUCH MORE..... OCT 6TH - 9TH OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: Thursday Oct 6th / 11am - Midnight Friday Oct 7th / 11am - Midnight Saturday Oct 8th / 11am - 10pm Sunday Oct 9th / 11am-6pm WE ACCEPT: Visa, Mastercard, Debit, Cash SHERATON HOTEL INSIDE MINORU BALLROOM 7551 WESTMINSTER HIGHWAY & NO 3 RD RICHMOND, BC VIEW MAP FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT US AT: 604.505.9337 V.I.P. SIGN UP: www.vancouversamplesales.com